Welcome, Friendly New Guy! During your first workout, you’ll be known as “FNG.” When you complete your first workout, you’ll earn a proper F3 name [fist bump].
We cover a lot of ground in 45 minutes or an hour, and we don’t waste any time. Here’s a very broad, generic outline of how our workouts function. If you’re new, someone will always be dedicated by your side to ensure you know what’s going on.
- The Q (the guy leading the workout) gives a disclaimer and recites F3’s core principles
- Warm-o-Rama: Any combination of stretching, warm-up exercises, and/or a short jog around the AO
- The Thang: THE workout, which can and will take on any form, intensity, and duration
- Mary: Any combination of cool-down exercises, often core-centric
- Circle of Trust: Count-o-Rama and Name-o-Rama (our version of roll call), announcements, and wraps with a brief word of wisdom from the Q
Here’s a down and dirty quick list of recommended gear you should consider. Modify as necessary.
- Gloves (you’ll hate your life if you don’t wear ‘em, double-up in the winter)
- Buy a coupon (i.e., a cinder block—they’ll run ya’ about $1.25), and keep it in your trunk
- Comfortable shoes that can take a beating (Gore-Tex/waterproof highly recommended during winter month)
- Moisture wicking apparel (cotton gets heavy when wet)
- Watch (helps gauge how much gas you’ll need left in the tank)
- Towel (for your car seat during the drive home)
- Reflective bands or vest
- Traction cleats (winter months)
- Water bottle (you often won’t touch it during a workout, but you’ll want it after)
- Be on time. Better yet, be 5-10 minutes early to stretch. We don’t wait. If you’re late, you get penalty burpees.
- Check your ego at the door. Be nice, encouraging, and supportive.
- Hydrate. Start your engine with 16 oz or more of water when you wake up.
- Eat something light on your way. A banana or a couple handfuls of raisins work well. Then, eat something protein-heavy within 30 minutes after your workout to help with muscle recovery.
- Dress for the weather, and in layers (rule of them is dress as if it’s 20 degrees warmer).
- If you like your car, buy a heavy-duty Tupperware container to transport your coupon, dirty clothes, and towel.
After your first workout, if you intend to return, please take the appropriate actions, below. We use these resources to communicate with each other, the rest are so that you can stay in the loop.
- Download SLACK for Mac or Windows—make sure the app is on your phone. Join our workspace, f3grandrapids.slack.com. We use this daily. It’s critical.
- Take this FNG First Workout Survey, and help us improve.
- Fill out this contact form (in case of emergency).
- Add our calendar to your device. Workouts, Happy Hours, and all other events posted publicly.
- Join Twitter. Follow our conversations at @f3grandrapids with the rest of @f3nation.
- Subscribe to our newsletter, then forward it onto a buddy who needs to get off the couch.
- Invite a friend to join you the next time you post. Oh, he’s got an excuse, huh? It’s one of these, right?